Now we would like to venture a look at the winter semester with you, even if our plans could be overtaken by the infection situation at any time. With this e-mail I would like to inform you about the current status of the courses in the winter semester. Please also keep yourself up to date with the websites of your departments. You can listen to the podcast on teaching in the winter semester here:
Lecture times and courses in the winter semester
- Courses in the winter semester 2020/21 begin on 28.09.2020 for all students from the second or third semester upwards. Lectures for first semester students, on the other hand, will begin on 02.11.2020. Master students will start from 12.10.2020.
- For students in their first semester, the highest possible proportion of on-campus teaching shall be made possible in order to give them a good start to their studies with a wide range of opportunities for networking with fellow students and lecturers. For all other students, many courses will continue to take place online.
- It is expected that distance and hygiene regulations will also be maintained in the winter semester. For this reason, teaching will remain limited in terms of group size, space, or the format of courses. Course-specific planning is currently being developed in your departments.
- The obligation to document presence will continue to apply in order to ensure follow-up in the event of infection. Work is underway to provide technical solutions to simplify documentation.
- Members of risk groups are requested to contact the lecturers or gesundheitsschutz(at)th-owl.de.
- It was suggested to the departments to offer orientation events for first semester students in the week before the courses start ("O-Week" = 26.-30.10.2020). Like the Digital Day, the first semester welcome is coordinated by Ms. Lemme.
Requirement to wear a mask in public areas of the TH OWL
In public areas of all buildings of TH OWL there is an obligation to limit contacts to a necessary minimum, to keep distance and to wear a mouth-and-nose cover (corridors, elevators, sanitary facilities, etc.) Exceptions to this are offices and teaching and learning rooms, in which the rules of distance and hygiene are observed.
Library, student work areas/PC pools/learning rooms
- The library will be open from 8 June in limited service operation Monday to Friday from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. During this time media can be checked out and scanners can be used. A longer stay in the premises is not permitted. The sending of media is still possible: For this purpose, please contact support(at)th-owl.de.
- It is still not possible to open the student work areas without supervision. Another reason for this is the legal obligation to trace chains of infection.
- Your lecturers will check in which form student work areas can be made available under supervision. Please contact your dean's office directly.
Semester fees and student restaurant
- Your semester fees are made up of various partial contributions. In addition to the NRW-Ticket, these contributions are used to finance the Studierendenwerk (Student Services Organisation) and your student representation, the AStA. You can find more detailed information here.
- The Studierendenwerk Bielefeld is currently also in the planning stage. We will inform you as soon as reliable plans have been made to open the student restaurants/cafeterias at their respective locations.