Information for International Students

We would like to inform everyone who is studying and working at TH OWL about the current status of the corona virus on this page. We have established a Corona-Action-Team, which coordinates the prevention measures at TH OWL and is in regular contact with the health authorities. 

Here you will find an overview of all current regulations, answers to the most important questions as well as further information about the operation at the university.

What are the current regulations?

That's what it's aboutStatusCurrent regulations

Teaching and practical events

 ✅ yes

In the winter semester 2021/2022, teaching and practical events will again be held primarily in attendance. A requirement for participation is a 3G certificate (Vaccinated - Recovered - Tested) and a fixed seat during the event. In these events, either a distance of 1.5 m between participants or the wearing of a mask must be ensured.

✅ yes

The exams in September will take place digitally or in presence as planned.

Student workspaces


Student workspaces can now be used for individual learning.

For the use of study group spaces, please notify the dean's office of their use. The responsible person must ensure that the 3G certificates are checked.
Libraries and service points

Current information on opening and service times of the libraries and service points can be found on the S(kim) pages. 

You can reach the telephone support team at extension 2222. In addition, the team is available 24 hours a day via the "S(kim) Service-Point (Online)" or by e-mail via support(at)

Consulting and service🖥 digital

Appointments with the Student Advisory Service, the International Office, the Career Service, and the Enrollment Office can be made by phone or e-mail; counseling in person is currently not possible.

Central hotline for infection and quarantine cases

TH OWL has set up a central hotline for all students and employees: +49 5261 702 2133

FAQ – Enrolled students

How and where do I show my 3G certificate on campus?

All participants must present valid 3G verificatin proof (vaccinated, tested, recovered) before a learning event. All three verification formats are equally accepted to access learning events.

  • During the first four weeks (September 27th-October 22nd, 2021) a security service will support you in checking the 3G verification at clearly defined verification entrances. Other entry ways may not be used. On campus there are posters on the buildings informing about the location of the 3G entrances. You can find an example of the main building in Lemgo here.

  • Please have your 3G verification, and your student ID or ID card ready when entering the campus.
  • For 3G certificate, please use the CovPass app from the Robert Koch Institute.
  • Please also plan for the additional time of the verification control and arrive as early as possible.
  • A special note for students at the Innovation Campus in Lemgo: Due to the current construction work, parking is currently only available in a limited extent. Further information can be found in this news.
I have already been vaccinated in my home country. Do I have to be vaccinated again when I arrive in Germany?

Please check, if the vaccine used has a valid authorisation from the European Commission.

If not, it will most probably be necessary for you to get vaccinated again.

You can get in contact with Professor Dr. med. Manfred Pilgramm in Detmold. The professor and doctor offers guidance in cases like yours. You can contact him on Tuesdays and Fridays from 7 to 8 am and from 6 to 7 pm. The phone number is +49 170 44 15 435.

You will find more information about this councel offer on our website (in German).

What should I do if I am infected with the Corona virus or have been ordered to quarantine?

The Health Department will decide on the quarantine/isolation regulations and the procedure regarding contact tracing. Please follow the appropriate instructions from the Health Department.
If necessary, inform your course instructors about your absence from the courses.

What about people who are not allowed to get vaccinated for medical reasons?

Persons who are unable to receive vaccinations for medical reasons may continue to be tested free of charge by presenting a medical certificate, according to the current political ruling.

Is there currently infection chain tracing and fixed seating in events? What happens if someone in an event was infected after all?

Currently, there is no infection chain tracing on the part of TH OWL. Fixed seating arrangements must be maintained in the events. Please note and inform your contacts independently, for example via the Corona warning app. In case of infection or quarantine, follow the instructions of the health authority. It decides on the quarantine of contacts at the university. Careful adherence to our hygiene concept aims to minimize the risk of infection as far as possible.

Will there be parallel digital offerings for groups of people who cannot or do not want to attend in person?

Students who can prove by a medical certificate that they are unable to attend in-class lectures at the university, please contact their department or lecturers directly. In a joint discussion, possible individual alternatives can be discussed. Should support become necessary, please contact Hanna Lohau, the head of the Central Student Advisory Service.

Do the cafeterias and other catering areas of the Students´ Services Organization open again as normal? Does the 3G regulation also apply there? What hygiene regulations will apply then?

The cafeterias and student dining halls at our campuses in Lemgo, Detmold and Höxter have reopened. In all facilities you need a 3G certificate. The applicable hygiene regulations and current opening hours can be found on the pages of the Studierendenwerk Bielefeld.

May I stay at the university during breaks between two courses? Where am I allowed to stay?

In addition to the outdoor facilities of the campus, free seminar rooms are available for your convenience. Please contact your department to find out which free seminar rooms you are allowed to use. The cafeteria is currently not permitted as a common room.

Student workspaces may again be used for individual learning. Learning groups will be reported to the Dean's Office and will be required to provide 3G verification checks.

What housing options are available during studies?

On our page "Living in OWL" you will find bundled information about the housing market in Lemgo, Detmold and Höxter.

What is my standard period of study now?

Your student ID card shows the "standard period of study".The state of North Rhine-Westphalia has extended the "individual standard period of study" in relation to the pandemic, which means that:

  • Students who have been enrolled since the summer semester 2020 have an increased individual standard period of study of 3 semesters
  • Students who have been enrolled since the winter semester 2020/2021 have an increased individual standard period of study of 2 semesters.
  • Students who have been enrolled since the summer semester 2021 have an increased individual standard period of study of 1 semester.

If you need a certificate of the individual standard period of study for your employer, your health insurance company or the Studierendenwerk, please send your request by e-mail to immatrikulationsamt(at)

Do I get my semester fee for the online semester back?

No, a refund of the semester fee for the past online semesters is not possible, as the amount is made up of running costs.

What happens to my BAföG funding?

The Studierendenwerk Bielefeld provides information on its website about the legal regulations for financial aid that compensate for pandemic-related study restrictions, such as short-time work allowance from parents or the loss of one's own part-time job.

My specialized internship has been postponed or cancelled. How do I deal with this?

Basically, students who are unable to complete their specialized internship/practical semester due to the current situation, or who may only be able to complete it at a later date, should not suffer any study-related disadvantages as a result. As a rule, the examination offices will grant pragmatic solutions, such as an extension of the deadline for the proof of studies, etc. Please check the homepage of your department or contact your local examination office!

Are there any foreign language offers?

Current information on foreign language offers can be found on the pages of the ZA Fremdsprachen. If you have any questions, you can reach the team by phone or e-mail using the contacts provided.

I am a current student at TH OWL, who can I contact if the current situation overwhelms me and I am not feeling well?

We are currently in a special situation. The corona virus limits our social contacts and the opportunity to go to work. If you do research, study, teach or work at the TH OWL and you realize that you are overwhelmed by the situation or need mental support, do not hesitate to contact the following addresses:

Initial psychosocial counseling for employees

Telephone: +495231 975 823
Mobile: +49 160 3812387
Email: gerlinde.dingerkus(at)