Skip to Content

Living in OWL

What is it like to live in East Westphalia-Lippe (OWL)? What do I need to know before my arrival? What preparations do I need to make? In this overview you will find all the important information.


Tips for finding suitable accommodation in OWL

General Informationen

11.208,- € for 12 months (approx. 934,-€ per month)
(e.g. room, food, entertainment, books etc.)

Health Insurance

If you live in the European Union and are younger than 30 years, please bring an European health insurance with you and make sure that the validity of the insurance card covers the duration of your stay in Germany.

Germany has social security agreements with some countries, such as members of the European Union and the European Economic Area. As long as you have statutory health insurance at home, you can have this insurance cover approved by a statutory health insurance company in Germany. However, make sure you clear up at home what documents to take with you! For students, this is usually a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). Your insurance company usually issues the EHIC free of charge.

As soon as EU or EEA students take up part-time employment or a paid internship, they must apply for German health insurance.

Your insurance may not cover all costs in Germany. Before you enter Germany, make sure that you know exactly which services you are entitled to in Germany. If you do not have health insurance at home, you must - like all other students - insure yourself in Germany.