Practical, scientifically sound Bachelor’s program focusing specifically on the effects of digitization for tomorrow’s working world. The program teaches comprehensive psychological and business administration content and competence, based on general fundamental coursework (information management, statistics, empirical research, business English and business ethics).
The Bachelor's program in Business Psychology is six semesters long, and teaches basic psychological, business administration and methodological expertise and selected competencies in order to fulfill specialist and management duties in companies. The content of the different modules is coordinated, covering the areas of business psychology and adjacent fields. During the first phase of the program, you will learn methodological, psychological and business administration fundamentals (for instance in the areas of general psychology, general business administration, statistics, empirical research methods and business and corporate ethics). The main phase of the program will start in the fourth semester. Here you will take modules with a focus on digitization in companies and deepen your knowledge in business psychology application subjects. In addition, you can choose from a variety of elective modules in the fields of business psychology and management to suit your professional inclinations.
Coursework is divided into lecture courses, business simulation games, exercises and case studies. Lecture courses meet in different group sizes, and transmit the content of each specific module. Business simulation games are primarily IT-based simulations where students independently make business or psychological decisions in small groups, learning directly about the effects their decisions have on “their company,” for instance, on the competitive situation, or on general market developments. Exercises address the content of lecture courses and develop advanced potential solutions through dialog. Case studies are used to deal with realistic questions from everyday business. Coursework is completed in a variety of ways. In some courses, you will work on a team to train your empathy, communication skills, and ability to compromise. You will also independently develop and present your own solutions, and reflect on the processes you used to achieve them. Both of these methods help you expand and reinforce your methodological expertise. A degree in Business Psychology, therefore, provides you with both professional and personal qualifications.
Students complete the Business Psychology degree with a “Bachelor of Science.” Thanks to a combination of business administration and psychological expertise, and a focus on empirical and statistic methods and key qualifications, students gain competence that both mid-sized and large companies need in many different management areas.
Classic work areas for business psychology students
- Personnel management: Selecting personnel, talent management, personnel development, employee assessments
- Marketing: Market research, product or service design, customer relationship management, customer experience management
- Team and organizational development: Consulting, coaching, diversity management
Focusing on digital transformation also opens up additional work areas. The digital transformation is changing markets, companies, and jobs. Mid-sized companies need to understand the effects of digitization on competition, customers and employees in order to help actively shape digital change by designing sustainable competitive strategies, customer relationships and work and organizational structures.
Additional work areas in the digitization context
- Digitization of production, service, and administration processes: new forms of work and organization, competence development, new kinds of management, innovation management, change management, HR analytics, digital health management
- Digital marketing: Management of customer interactions and integration into digital value creation processes, marketing analytics, customer engagement management
- Project management, change management, general management (assistance, management trainee)
- Other specific work areas: Designing assistance systems, process and software development (usability, user experience) human-machine interaction, process automation and AI in healthcare, ...
- Abitur exam / vocational baccalaureate diploma or another equivalent qualification (master craftsman)
- Six-week internship which must be completed by the end of the 3rd semester, by February 28th of the year, and not by the start of lecture courses in March! Further information on the internship is available here and in the examination regulations.
In the second part of the program, you will take three modules in the focus on digitization in companies and two modules in business psychology application subjects. In addition, you can choose three out of ten modules in the elective Management: Business Game SAP, Marketing, Human Resources Management, Sustainability Reporting, Project Management, Market and Competition, Organization Theory for Economists, Change in Organizations, Marketing and Digitalization, Production Management.
The Business Psychology degree program is structured as follows: During the first phase, you will learn business administration and psychological fundamentals and basic expertise on information management, statistics and empirical research. Business English, business ethics and key qualifications will also be taught during the fundamentals phase.
During the second phase, you will reinforce your economic, psychological and methodological expertise with a focus on aspects of digitization. In addition, you will acquire knowledge and skills in the field of consumer psychology as well as industrial and organizational psychology. In the elective area "Profiling Business Psychology and Management" you can also take three of ten modules in business psychology and economics. You will apply the expertise you have gained in a practical organizational context during a business psychology project-based module. The degree program concludes with a Bachelor’s thesis on a business psychology-related topic.
Topics: Economy, Current: New study courses in 2020
Duration: 6 semester
Foreign semester: Not required
Credit points: 180 ECTS
Department: Business sciences
Mode of study:
Cooperative study : Not a cooperative study
Course language: German
Chamber ability: No
Central Student Advisory Service
Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, English