Civil Engineering offers a modern and creative working environment with excellent prospects in the areas of the environment, the natural sciences and new technologies.
This practical degree program prepares students for a variety of positions in the construction industry. The program is about much more than just high-tech equipment: Civil engineers provide consultation, organization, procurement, analysis and sales services as well. Social skills like communication, the ability to work on a team and solve conflicts, and good foreign language skills and creativity are essential for such services.
Expertise from different areas such as mathematics, natural sciences and economics, thorough IT expertise and management skills serve as the foundation for different fields of study like building operations, structural engineering, traffic engineering and water management.
Due to a growing shortage of trained professionals in civil engineering, and because of the trend towards mixed teams, highly-qualified women and men enjoy attractive and family-friendly career prospects. Modern and innovative companies are offering more and more flexible work time models.
Graduates will be qualified for careers in the following areas:
- Design, calculation, planning, coordination, monitoring
- Operations and renovation
- Calculation, bid processing, work preparation and billing
- Facility management
Degree program flyer
- Abitur exam / vocational baccalaureate diploma (Fachabitur)
- Vocational training or at least an eight-week basic internship, which must be completed and certified in full by November 2nd, 2020 at the latest (start of lectures for the 20/21 winter semester). If you will not be able to complete your internship before the start of lectures, please submit a provisional certification from the company for registration purposes. The internship is designed to transmit basic skills and expertise on the construction industry, and may be completed either on a construction site or in a technical office or technical bureau.
If no internship place can be found due to the corona situation, the department reserves the right to make individual decisions on a case-by-case basis. In this case please contact the matriculation office (immatrikulationsamt(at)th-owl.de).
- Building operations
- Structural engineering
- Traffic engineering
- Water management
Students learn fundamental civil engineering principles during their first two semesters. From the third semester, students can choose one of the advanced areas of building operations, structural engineering, traffic engineering or water management, and modules will become increasingly more specialized. At the end of the sixth semester and into the seventh semester, they will complete a 16-week practical internship at a company that matches their chosen advanced area. Then they will finish their Bachelor's thesis, which will frequently deal with a current topic they have addressed in their practical work.
Topics: Construct and Design, Engineering sciences, Technology
Duration: 7 semester
Foreign semester: Not required
Credit points: 210 ECTS
Department: Civil Engineering
Mode of study:
Cooperative study : Cooperative study
Course language: German
Chamber ability: Yes
Central Student Advisory Service
Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, English