Do you want to help shape the future of sustainable cosmetics and detergents? You will gain the expertise in natural sciences and engineering you need to do just that in our bachelor’s degree program, the only one of its kind in Germany. Through practical application and theoretical coursework, you will learn all about industrial development and manufacturing, performance testing and quality assurance for these products.
Your heart beats for...
A Degree Program with a Future
The degree program can also be completed with an additional internship semester.
You will bring one of the following educational backgrounds:
- General university entrance qualification (Abitur)
- Specialized university entrance qualification
- Advanced technical college certificate (Fachhochschulreife)
- Professional qualification
- Cosmetic production and sensory
- General Chemistry
- Experimental physics: mechanics
- English for Technologists
- Introduction to business administration
- Differential and integral calculus
- Physiology and anatomy of the skin
- Organic chemistry and biochemistry
- Physical Chemistry
- Experimental physics: electrodynamics
- Probability and statistics
- Cosmetic chemistry and law
- Fundamentals of operational technology
- Fundamentals of process engineering
- Basics of microbiology
- Chemical-analytical practical course
- Cosmetic preparations and active ingredients
- Fundamentals of cosmetic technology with practical course
- Practical course chemistry and analytics of cosmetics
- Applied microbiology and industrial hygiene
- Process engineering
- Applied cosmetic technology with practical course
- Formulation technology
- Quality Management
- Practice project
As a graduate, you will learn all relevant fundamental knowledge on cosmetics and detergent technology through lectures and application-oriented internships in well-appointed laboratories.
You will understand
- all significant technological aspects for product groups available on the market, such as creams, shampoos, deodorants, decorative cosmetics, aerosols, soaps, detergents and cleaning agents
- all kinds of cosmetic preparations, as well as the active ingredients and excipients used in them, formulation and manufacturing technologies
- testing methods for effectiveness and tolerability
At the end of your degree program, you will deal with a current topic in a practical project and in your Bachelor thesis – benefiting from our close contacts in industry.
Cosmetic and Detergent Technology is a field with excellent professional prospects. It was developed specifically for the specialized requirements of the industry. You will be a sought-after expert throughout Europe with our bachelor’s degree. Your work areas may include, for instance
- Research and development of innovative products at consumer goods manufacturers
- Advising scale-up and large-scale technical production
- Quality management in production companies
- Testing the quality and effectiveness of products in laboratories
- Customer advising in application engineering
- Technical marketing and developing attractive marketing concepts in interdisciplinary teams
Our degree program is closely linked to industry. We cooperate with
- a wide range of companies in the pharmaceutical industry
- Rohstoffherstellern und den Fachverbänden APV e.V. – Arbeitsgemeinschaft Pharmazeutischer Verfahrenstechnik and DGK – Deutsche Gesellschaft für wissenschaftliche und angewandte Kosmetik e.V.
- As a student, you will gain valuable insight into a wide range of applications.
Our research focuses on innovative and sustainable technologies. Research topics include, for example:
- The use of microplastics in cosmetics
- Green tensides and other ingredients for sustainable production
- Replacement of silicone composites
- Resource-saving cleaning and washing processes
... the 17 Sustainable Development Goals of the United Nations
- directly to good health and well-being
- directly to industry, innovation and infrastructure
- directly to responsible consumption and production
Studying at Innovation Campus Lemgo
At the Innovation Campus in Lemgo, you will study at one of the most exciting technology locations in NRW. Here you will find state-of-the-art laboratories and teaching rooms as well as science-to-business factories. For example, the Centrum Industrial IT, in which companies from all over East Westphalia-Lippe (OWL) have their branches. Or the Smart Factory OWL, which showcases data and AI management. In the Future Food Factory OWL, which is unique in Europe, something similar is happening in relation to food production. New work and transfer meet at InnovationSPIN. Here, TH OWL, the district administration and the skilled trades demonstrate transparent cooperation and a spirit that allows new things to emerge. In addition to Fraunhofer IOSB-INA, the campus is also home to two vocational schools and the national handball league team TBV Lemgo-Lippe. And best of all, the campus also has student residence halls with short distances to the university and the city.