Dealing with data is increasingly becoming a key skill in many professions. Companies are increasingly offering data-based business models, optimizing their processes based on data or developing products that themselves produce data. All of this requires suitably qualified specialists in development, sales and management. In this professional field of the future, graduates of this degree program have the best job prospects worldwide.
According to a survey commissioned by BITCOM in 2014, 90 % of German companies evaluate IT-based data for decision-making processes. Knowledge in the field of data science is therefore important in many economic sectors.
At TH OWL, students will find optimal conditions: Data Science is the central research topic of the research institutes located on the university campus in Lemgo; i.e. the Institute Industrial IT (inIT), the Fraunhofer IOSB-INA and the SmartfactoryOWL, a joint initiative of the Fraunhofer Society and OWL University of Applied Sciences and Arts.
The bachelor’s degree program Data Science is also offered as a cooperative training program (in German, “Duales Studium”).
In the bachelor’s program "Data Science" students acquire the following core competences:
- Foundations of computer science and software development
- Basics of communication technology
- Basics of human-machine interaction
- Fundamentals of image processing
- Data visualization and media design
- Methods and technologies of spatial data sources
- Methods and technologies for data collection and storage
- Big Data technology
- Semantic definitions
- Algorithms and methods of information compression, statistics and machine learning
- Approaches to real-time, parallel and distributed implementation
- Information security and privacy concepts
Fields of Activity and Career Prospects
"Data Science" prepares students for jobs in the following professional fields:
- Product development: Many new products such as smartphones, sensors or vehicles offer data-based services such as the evaluation of user behavior or autonomous assistance systems. The developers of these products and business models need background knowledge in the field of data science.
- Business intelligence: The optimization of business processes is nowadays based on the analysis of customer and business data. Without appropriate statistical knowledge, tools are not usable.
- Smart cities and smart environments: In the future, the management of complex urban and rural areas, including transport and logistics structures, will be based on the real-time analysis of sensor and image data. Developing the appropriate systems requires trained data scientists.
- Production: In production, data are collected and used to optimize and diagnose the systems. This requires a combination of engineering and data science skills.
- Software development: In many areas, software is used today for data analysis, data storage, data communication or the implementation of machine learning methods. In addition to software knowledge, data science knowledge is necessary for this.
Data Scientists work, for example, in the following areas:
- Production, plant and mechanical engineering as well as automation
- Energy economics
- Finance management
- Earth risk management and environmental monitoring as well as weather forecasts
- Insurance companies
- Facility management
- Marketing and market research
- Social networks
- Medicine, health and life sciences
- Smart cities and smart traffic
Fachhochschulreife/Allgemeine Hochschulreife, i.e. an entrance qualification for studies at universities of applied sciences or at universities or an equivalent qualification.
The degree program has a standard duration of six semesters and is divided into basic and advanced courses. From the fourth semester onwards, the compulsory courses are complemented by compulsory optional courses.
The bachelor’s thesis is written during the sixth semester.
Topics: Computer science, Engineering sciences, Technology
Duration: 6 semester
Foreign semester: Optional
Credit points: 180 ECTS
Department: Electrical Engineering and Computer Science
Mode of study:
Cooperative study : Cooperative study
Course language: German
Chamber ability: No
Central Student Advisory Service
Mathematics, Physics, English