Is sustainable landscape architecture and development your passion? Have you already completed a bachelor’s degree program on this or a related topic, and want to deepen your knowledge through a master’s degree? If you are also looking for an international focus in the English language, want to sharpen your overview and develop your management qualities, then welcome to our program!
Your heart beats for...
A Degree Program with a Future
The first two semesters consist of required and mandatory elective subjects, as well as a landscape and a landscape planning and development project with real-life project work. The 3rd semester is an internship, and the 4th semester is dedicated to the master’s thesis.
- A Bachelor's degree (or higher) in landscape architecture or in a related field such as architecture, urban planning, environmental planning, etc. with a grade point average of at least 2.3 in Germany
- Information about the application process can be found on this page.
- Human-centered Open Space Planning and Design
- Sustainable Planting Design
- Landscape and Regional Planning in Germany
- Quality in Detailed Design
- Extra Muros 1
- Urban Landscape Project
- Compulsory elective subject 1
- Compulsory elective subject 2
- Compulsory elective subject 3
- Compulsory elective subject 4
- Extra Muros 2
- Landscape Planning and Development Project
- Master Thesis
- Colloquium (oral examination)
In this master's degree program, you will gain comprehensive perspective on the wide range of sustainability aspects in landscape architecture. Practice-oriented and professionally focused – including with respect to newly created work areas on the market. In the master’s degree program, you will combine tradition and innovation in planning, designing, and developing urban and rural areas. Focus on the challenges of the 21st century, such as
- Climate change
- Water-sensitive urban development
- Gender equitable cities
- Energy landscapes
- Healthy cities
- Food safety
- Urban shrinkage processes
- Increasing urbanization and migration
The UN Sustainable Development Goals provide the framework for the content of our master’s degree program.
Our degree program in Sustainable Landscape Design and Development is primarily application-oriented. It prepares you
- to conduct academic work in environmental or planning research areas
- to carry out leadership or management duties in sustainable landscape design and development in Germany and abroad
- to begin a career in the sciences/academia and complete a Ph.D.
... the 17 Sustainable Development Goals of the United Nations
- directly to zero hunger
- directly to good health and well-being
- directly to gender equality
- directly to industry, innovation and infrastructure
- directly to sustainable cities and communities
- directly to responsible consumption and production
- directly to climate action
- directly to life on land
Studying at Sustainable Campus Höxter
The Höxter campus is home to our environment-related degree programs. They are combined in the departments of Environmental Engineering and Applied Computer Science as well as Landscape Architecture and Environmental Planning. The participation with several projects in the "Landesgartenschau 2023" in Höxter illustrates how presentable and exciting sustainability can be. Modern teaching and laboratory facilities guarantee practical work, as does the university's own botanical garden. Sustainability is tangible everywhere on the campus, for example when fertilizers and pesticides can be reduced with the help of digitalization in agriculture as part of the "Precision Farming" degree program. Here, as in the environmental engineering degree programs, the campus cooperates with municipalities and companies, for example when it comes to water purification or landfill remediation. The beautiful location on the curve of the Weser River and the proximity to the city center make the campus a perfect match.