Skip to Content

Information for refugees


Studying for refugees

You have obtained a higher education entrance qualification (HzB) in your home country, or you have already started studying, which you would like to now end? Or you have already finished your studies and would like to build on that?

At OWL University of Applied Sciences and Arts we support you in entering the university and on your way to a earning a successful degree.

Good to know:

As a refugee, you can study OWL University of Applied Sciences and Arts, even if your asylum procedure is not yet completed. Additionally, you can apply for BAföG as a recognized refugee in Germany.

Requirements for studying at the Technical University Ostwestfalen-Lippe

As a general rule, you need a completed secondary school degree which allows you to study at a  university in your home country. If your degree does not complete the entrance requirements for OWL University of Applied Sciences and Arts, you have the opportunity to attend a Studienkolleg and complete a Feststellungsprüfung, catch up with a completed Abitur, or qualify through professional studies and complete your degree afterwards.

In addition, further qualifications can be obtained at the OWL University of Applied Sciences and Arts through internships and professional studies.

Do you meet all the requirements for a degree and want to enroll? Then apply here:
Application and enrollment


Counseling on university access

The OWL Univesrity of Applied Sciences and Arts tries to give prospective students access to studies as quickly as possible, while taking into account the different educational paths and the current language level.

Depending on whether a direct higher education entrance certificate, according to your degree, is already possible, or you want to complete a study preparatory year at a Studienkolleg, we offer individual advising and discuss the best options for you.


Benjamin Hans
Coordination refugees
Room: 1.121A; Campus Lemgo
Telephone: +495261 702 5760
E-mail: fluechtlingsberatung(at)


Language Requirement

Courses at the OWL University of Applied Sciences and Arts are taught in German with a few exceptions. You must therefore have the appropriate German language skills for succesful studies. We accept the following language certificates:

  • TestDaF exam with at least 14 points
  • German language exam for university entrance (DSH) with at least DSH level 1
  • Passed German examination as part of the assessment test at a Studienkolleg
  • Certificate of passing the Goethe-Institut exam B2
  • telc German B2

If you have not yet completed the language requirement for your studies, you can enroll in the language program offered through the International Office, or through the integration courses offered by your local language school.

Language Courses

The OWL university of Applied Sciences and Arts offers preparatory and accompanying language courses. Upcoming dates will be announced in time.

Information Language Courses