Das neue Professional Experience Program (PEP), das von unserem New Yorker Verbindungsbüro Campus OWL New York koordiniert wird, bietet Ihnen die Möglichkeit, Einblicke in die amerikanische Arbeitskultur zu gewinnen und praktische Arbeitserfahrungen in der Metropolregion New York zu sammeln.
Das 3-monatige PEP Programm von Mitte April bis Juli 2023 umfasst ein einwöchiges Vorbereitungsseminar und ein 12-wöchiges Praktikum in einem Unternehmen oder einer Organisation im Großraum New York.
Ziel von PEP ist es, Studierenden der OWL Hochschulen die Chance zu geben, wertvolle Arbeitserfahrung und interkulturelle Kompetenzen in einem internationalen Umfeld zu sammeln. Studierende verschiedener Fachrichtungen können sich bis einschließlich 14. August 2022 bewerben.
PEP in NY offers students from the five Campus OWL universities (Bielefeld University, Paderborn University, Bielefeld University of Applied Sciences, OWL University of Applied Sciences and Arts, Detmold University of Music) the chance to gain intercultural skills and professional experience in the New York metropolitan area.
PEP runs from mid-April to end of July 2023 and includes a leadership and intercultural skills seminar week in NYC, an internship in a company/organization in the New York metropolitan area (other locations) and a virtual workshop to reflect on the experience.
The intensive 5-day interactive seminar will take place from April 17-21, 2023 (to be confirmed), and will cover the following key areas:
▪ Understanding American & German business cultures and navigating differences
▪ Workplace skills and development
▪ Practical exercises
The 3-month internship with a company/organization in the NY metropolitan area (or other locations) is expected to start after the skills seminar on April 24, 2023.
Upon return to OWL, the PEP participants will take part in the final seminar “Unpack your Internship Experience” which will be held virtually with the goal to reflect on the professional and intercultural experience and how to make use of it for future career planning. Participants are expected to provide a brief internship report upon completion of the program.
PEP offers two program lines:
Program line A: Seek your internship independently
Candidates can secure their own internship placement and be part of the PEP cohort 2023 (incl. seminar week), if accepted to the program. The Campus OWL Office will support the J-1 visa process in cooperation with the German American Chamber of Commerce of NY and cover the $700 fee for issuance of the DS-2019, as needed. Please indicate in the motivation letter that you are planning to apply independently for an internship for the time of the PEP program and include which companies/organizations you will be approaching regarding internship placement.
Program line B: Support with internship placement
Candidates can get placement support from Campus OWL New York and be part of the PEP cohort 2023 (incl. seminar week), if accepted to the program. The NY office’s network is made up of German-American NGOs/non-profit organizations (e.g. policy, culture) and companies in sectors such as technology, consulting, light manufacturing, architecture, and entertainment. The New York office will use its network to identify possible internship providers and will support the J-1 visa process in cooperation with the German American Chamber of Commerce of NY and cover the $700 fee for issuance of the DS-2019. Please indicate your interest and industry focus for an internship in the motivation letter.
Enrolled at one of the universities in OWL (Bielefeld University, Paderborn University, Bielefeld University of Applied Sciences, OWL University of Applied Sciences and Arts, and Detmold University of Music) for the summer semester 2023
- At time of application (summer semester 2022), enrolled in a Master program or at least in 3rd semester Bachelor program
- Excellent communications skills (oral, written, interpersonal)
- Very good command of spoken and written English (B2 at a minimum)
- Letter of motivation including how the program helps you achieve your goals and how it relates to your studies, either include intent to seek your own internship (program line A) or indicate industry/area of interest (program line B) (in English, approx.1 page)
- CV (include education, work experience, skills, previous scholarships/awards, and other relevant experiences such as volunteer experience; no photo necessary; in English)
- Overview of your previous academic achievements with grade average (copy of your transcript; copy of bachelor’s degree, if applicable)
- Letter of recommendation (preferably in English) written by a professor/lecturer of your faculty (this recommendation letter can also be used for the internship application and J-1 visa application). Please use the letter of recommendation template provided on the website: https://www.campus-owl.org/experience-abroad/
- Confirmation of enrollment as a student
Application Deadline: August 14, 2022. Please send your application in English in a single PDF file to firstname.lastname@example.org
Outline of Application Process:
- Candidates will be notified by early September if they are invited for an interview. The interview will be conducted in English only. Interview date is mid-September by video call.
- Internship placement for shortlisted candidates and additional interviews with potential internship providers in October/November (final selection).
- Selected candidates will apply for a J-1 visa in cooperation with the German American Chamber of Commerce in New York and the internship provider (December-February).
- Application process for the J-1 visa including the $700 fee for issuance of the DS-2019 (certificate of eligibility for the J-1 visa)
- Support with internship placement in a company/organization
- During the skills seminar week: hotel in New York City, Metrocard & cultural program
Successful candidates will receive a DAAD PROMOS scholarship to cover part of their living expenses (350€ x 3 months), total scholarship amount: 1.150€
Participants can also apply for a TH OWL 'Go Global Praxis' scholarship or other funding tools for travel and stay during the program that will cover parts of the expenses abroad.
Participants will bear the costs for the international health insurance (DAAD Gruppenversicherung, ca. €40/month) as well as the $220 SEVIS fee and the U.S. Consulate fee of €130 for the J-1 visa at the Consulate in Frankfurt, Munich, or Berlin.
Participants will be responsible to find their accommodation during the internship. For an overview of the expected expenses abroad please see the FAQs on the website: www.campus-owl.org/experience-abroad/
- Download the call for applications 2022
- Download the recommendation letter template
- Download FAQs
- Download the PEP brochure 2021
If you have any questions on the program, please contact the director of the Campus OWL New York office Dr. Katja Simons email@example.com.
Campus OWL is a network of five higher education institutions in OstWestfalenLippe (OWL), Germany – Bielefeld University, Paderborn University, Bielefeld University of Applied Sciences, OWL University of Applied Sciences and Arts, and Detmold University of Music. The Campus OWL New York Office was founded in 2019 and represents these five higher education institutions in North America. For further information please visit www.campus-owl.org