Das neue Professional Experience Program (PEP), das von unserem New Yorker Verbindungsbüro Campus OWL New York koordiniert wird, bietet Ihnen die Möglichkeit, Einblicke in die amerikanische Arbeitskultur zu gewinnen und praktische Arbeitserfahrungen in der Metropolregion New York zu sammeln.
Das 3-monatige PEP Programm von Ende April bis Ende Juli 2024 umfasst ein einwöchiges Vorbereitungsseminar und ein 12-wöchiges Praktikum in einem Unternehmen oder einer Organisation im Großraum New York.
Ziel von PEP ist es, Studierenden der OWL Hochschulen die Chance zu geben, wertvolle Arbeitserfahrung und interkulturelle Kompetenzen in einem internationalen Umfeld zu sammeln. Studierende verschiedener Fachrichtungen können sich bis einschließlich 13. August 2023 bewerben.
Lesen Sie in der Broschüre welche Studierende 2023 am PEP Programm teilgenommen haben.
PEP in NY offers students from the five Campus OWL universities (Bielefeld University, Paderborn University, Bielefeld University of Applied Sciences, OWL University of Applied Sciences and Arts, Detmold University of Music) the chance to gain intercultural skills and professional experience in the New York metropolitan area.
PEP runs from late April to late July 2024 and includes a leadership and intercultural skills seminar week in NYC, an internship in a company/organization in the New York metropolitan area (other locations) and a virtual workshop to reflect on the experience.
An intensive 5-day interactive skills seminar will take place in New York City from April 22-26, 2024, and will cover the following key areas:
▪ Understanding American & German business cultures and navigating differences
▪ Workplace skills and development with practical exercises
▪ Exposure to New York City through cultural events and sightseeing
Campus OWL will cover accommodation in a hotel in New York City, a MetroCard & cultural program during the skills seminar week.
The internship will start after the skills seminar, on April 29, 2024, and usually lasts 3 months until end of July. Shorter or longer internships are possible according to the host company’s/organization’s needs.
Enrolled at one of the universities in OWL (Bielefeld University, Paderborn University, Bielefeld University of Applied Sciences, OWL University of Applied Sciences and Arts, and Detmold University of Music) for the summer semester 2023
- Enrolled at one of the universities in OWL (Bielefeld University, Paderborn University, Hochschule Bielefeld – University of Applied Sciences and Arts, OWL University of Applied Sciences and Arts, and Detmold University of Music) for the summer semester 2024
- At time of application (summer semester 2023), enrolled in a Master’s program or at least in 3rd semester Bachelor program
- Excellent communications skills (oral, written, interpersonal)
- Very good command of spoken and written English (B2 at a minimum)
- Letter of motivation including how the program helps you to achieve your goals and how it relates to your studies (in English, 1 page). Please refer to the letter of motivation template provided.
- Resume including education, work experience, skills, previous scholarships/awards, and other relevant experiences such as volunteer experience (no photo necessary; in English)
- Copy of your transcript of records (providing an overview of your previous academic achievements with grade average; copy of bachelor’s degree, if applicable)
- Letter of recommendation written by a professor/lecturer of your faculty (this recommendation letter can also be used for the internship application and J-1 visa application; preferably in English). Please use the letter of recommendation template provided
- Confirmation of enrollment as a student
Outline of Application Process:
1. Students must submit their application in a single PDF file to email@example.com by the deadline on August 13, 2023.
2. Candidates who are considered for the program will be asked at the end of August to submit the “Career Field Profile” document by September 10, 2023.
3. Candidates will be notified by mid-September if they are invited for an interview. The interview will be conducted in English only. Interview date is end of September/early October by video call.
4. Shortlisted candidates will be matched with internship providers in October – December. Be aware that you might need to go through additional application processes at prospective internship providers as well!
5. Candidates who secure an internship placement will apply for a J-1 visa in cooperation with the German American Chamber of Commerce in New York and the internship provider (December-February).
- Application process for the J-1 visa including the $700 fee for issuance of the DS-2019 (certificate of eligibility for the J-1 visa)
- Support with internship placement in a company/organization
- During the skills seminar week: hotel in New York City, Metrocard & cultural program
Successful candidates will receive a DAAD PROMOS scholarship to cover part of their living expenses (350€ x 3 months), total scholarship amount: 1.150€
Participants can also apply for a TH OWL 'Go Global Praxis' scholarship or other funding tools for travel and stay during the program that will cover parts of the expenses abroad.
Participants will bear the costs for the international health insurance (DAAD Gruppenversicherung, ca. €40/month) as well as the $220 SEVIS fee and the U.S. Consulate fee of €160 for the J-1 visa at the Consulate in Frankfurt, Munich, or Berlin.
Participants will be responsible to find their accommodation during the internship.
If you have any questions on the program, please contact the director of the Campus OWL New York office Dr. Katja Simons firstname.lastname@example.org.
Campus OWL is a network of five higher education institutions in OstWestfalenLippe (OWL), Germany – Bielefeld University, Paderborn University, Bielefeld University of Applied Sciences, OWL University of Applied Sciences and Arts, and Detmold University of Music. The Campus OWL New York Office was founded in 2019 and represents these five higher education institutions in North America. For further information please visit www.campus-owl.org